Sunday 17 February 2013

Disappearing Biscuits

Firstly, let me apologise. There should have been photo's to go with this post but I have to admit to us having been greedy little piggies who devoured a whole plate of biscuits before I remembered to get my camera out! Oooops!

Hubby often gets a bit of a sweet tooth and anything even remotely looking like it might contain sugar, when he's in one of those moods, doesn't stand a chance. I, on the other hand am usually much more restrained, especially after having lost so much weight last year. I have absolutely NO intention of allowing that two stone to creep back on, but yesterday was just one of those days.

We were curled up yesterday evening watching TV when hubby uttered those fateful words, 'Is there anything sweet to eat?' I could, probably should, have suggested apples, or bananas, but where's the fun in that? You see I like baking, I love baking in fact. I don't think I'm ever happier than when I'm in my kitchen with my mixing bowl so it doesn't take very much before I'm offering to make cakes or muffins or a batch of biscuits...

Last night I turned to one of the very first recipes I ever learnt, taught to me by my Grandma as I stood on a stool in her kitchen. If I remember rightly it's from her old Be-Ro recipe book, almost everything my Grandma made came from that little book and with good reason. Unlike so many recipes today they are simple, basic even, requiring very few ingredients which in turn usually made them inexpensive. And that's what we all want right? Something tasty which doesn't cost a lot to make.
 
So here is the recipe for Melting Moments - originally, I think, from the Be-Ro book but given to me by my Grandma and I've been making these with success for over 40 years. They are lovely crunchy biscuits that keep well in an air tight container for about a week (if they last that long ;) )
 
5oz SR Flour
3oz Sugar
2 1/2 oz margarine
1 1/2 oz lard
half an egg * this always annoys me - what am I supposed to do with the other half? I often double the quantities so I can use a full egg if I'm not likely to use it up elsewhere.
1tsp vanilla essence (I often don't bother with this)
Rolled oats or dessicated coconut
 
Cream together the fats and sugar and then beat in egg and the vanilla essence.
Stir in the flour and mix well.
With wet hands form mixture into balls and coat with either oats or coconut.
Place on a greased baking sheet and press slightly.
 
bake at gas mark 3-4 or 350-375 F (haven't got C listed and I'm not sure what the conversion is)
 
the recipe says it makes around 40 but I always make them larger and make 20 or so. They'd be very tiny (bite sized) if you did 40.
 
This time I didn't bother with the oats or coconut and instead melted a bar of chocolate we'd had in the fridge for a while to coat them with when they had cooled. Just that little bit of chocolate made it seem like a really decadent treat.
 
I'll have to be especially good for the rest of the week now (and I did go out for a run this morning) but sometimes its nice to be a bit over indulgent.

6 comments:

  1. Noooooo . . . . . I have all those ingredients in my cupboards but I mustn't succumb, I'm trying hard to lose weight. But after salads, crispbreads, vegetables, fruit and No Bread - I crave something to chew, preferably something sweet to chew.
    Get thee behind me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahhh ! The Bero Book. I love it, its full of old favorites. I like the simplicity of the recipes and the fact that they always turn out well. I can remember standing on a stool baking coffee kisses when I was about 3 years old and now 60 years on my grandchildren make them. I gave all of my children Bero Books when they left home and I've bought them for other kids to. Every home should have one! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another quick frugal sugar fix is cinnamon toast: toast bread on one side, spread other side with butter or marg (or nothing), sprinkle on some sugar and a dash of cinnamon and melt under grill. As it cools the sugar sets to a crunchy topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, cinnamon toast! I'd forgotten all about that. I haven't eaten that in years! I always loved it as a child. Bye bye diet. lol

      Delete