Tuesday 28 June 2016

Invisible Illness

Oh my it's been a while. I've really let things slide, thank you for your patience. I've just been absolutely shattered. I'm only working part time, and I do love my job, but it really has been taking it out of me. I guess I'm now seeing the effects of having been forced back to work while my health was far from ideal by having failed my ESA health assessment last year. Yes, I can work, just as they said. I'm perfectly capable of dragging my aching body out of bed in the morning and off to face the public for the day; I can be cheerful and helpful and do my job well, and I do all these things willingly but it has taken its toll, if not physically then certainly mentally and emotionally.

By the end of the day, I am drained. I have given it all I have. It is all I can do to throw something in the oven from the freezer or make a sandwich, I haven't the energy or inclination to cook. I don't want to talk, not even online because I've been repeating the same phrases over and over all day and my mind is like tangled yarn... I need to unravel it before I can make anything useful. And sometimes that can take days.

By which time I'm back at work.

Invisible illnesses are hard work. Everyone expects you to perform like everyone else because you don't look ill. Imagine strapping on a rucksack full of bricks before you left the house each day and going about your routines as normal. The smallest of things, beyond what you need to do, becomes an effort. Everything is judged by what has to be done and what you'd like to do because doing both isn't an option. Simple pleasures such as writing have fallen by the wayside in favour of rest and building up my reserves ready to face the world again.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are finding it such a struggle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you are exhausted. Do hope that you will feel better and stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. illnesses that can't be seen are a real bugger, people can tend to not believe you have trouble doing everyday things on a constant basis
    take it easy when you can

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO pleased to see you back! Have been visiting you daily and was beginning to think that maybe you weren't going to return. Sorry you've been feeling grim - I can only imagine what a struggle it is. Hang on in there - I'm sure things will start to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cancer
    In Dec. of 2013 I was diagnosed with terminal
    cancer at the age of 39. The doctors could give
    me no hope. I did have chemo and radiation, the
    doctors thought that could prolong my life for a
    little while. In March of 2014 I had surgery, thats
    when they found that the cancer had spread to
    my lymp nodes in my right hip area and couldn't
    get it all with the surgery. Now it looked like 3-6
    months is all I would live. It was a very
    aggressive form of colorectal cancer. But WhenI came across doctor Kumar from India he cured my terminal cancer with herbs I'm living very healthy today you too can be save or someone else contact the cancer and kidney doctor via email: DR.KUMARDAVID42@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hadn't checked your blog in a long time - just saw this post. So sorry to hear of your struggle. I can relate, I have lived a similar existence when working. Right now I am not working, but DH is, thank God. And I keep trying to figure out something I could do just very part time. God bless you, Hope.

    ReplyDelete